Condo Entryway (or, making something from almost nothing...)

In many small spaces, one of the first things to be sacrificed is often a properly designated entryway.  We're lucky enough to have a fairly generous entryway (in terms of square footage) but it didn't have any style... it just was a dumping ground for shoes and recyclable shopping bags.  With a few simple DIY projects, I was able to transform our entrance from condo blah to streamlined and functional.  Here's the finished product below:

Those double doors on the left open to a deep coat closet.  The door on the right is our front door, and the middle one leads to laundry and our recycling depot.  With such great storage, we didn't need to add any to our tiled entryway - a typical piece of furniture would have been too deep anyway - but it needed something.  After looking on Kijiji and other bargain-friendly places, my search for a bench that fit our dimensions came up empty... so I made one!  I was able to make this one from pieces in my oft-mentioned strap pile (the gift that seems to keep on giving)!  I painted the legs a blue-grey (from a tester left over from a different project), and then covered the bench with foam padding and this great geometric fabric, which at $25 dollars a meter was a definite splurge, but I hardly needed any and it was the only real cost of this project.  And then I finished it off with a nail head trim (It looks a little uneven from this detailed shot, but it's not noticeable otherwise).     
I also made the floating shelf, and for my first attempt at such a project, it turned out very well. Over all, a successful project :)














Comments

Popular Posts