Garden Harvest.


The results are in... and our raised planter box was a huge success!  Pretty early on, we learned we'd made a few mistakes.  First, the petunias I'd planted in one corner looked nice when it was just a big box of dirt... but they were crowded out really quickly.  Second, because this was our first time planting from seeds, we weren't sure about our success rate, and so we over-planted.  Things could have used a little more breathing room.  I also did something (still not really sure what) that killed our tomato plants over night.  And our climbing peas grew so fast and so aggressively that they broke the cute little trellis I made for them.

But here's what worked - we were so successful at growing cucumbers that it actually became a problem.  They tried to take over the whole yard, it seemed like!  There weren't many string beans but the ones I found were amazing.  I pulled the carrots too early, but the few little ones we had were incredible.  Our freezer is full of our butternut squash and, had I remembered to pickle them in time, we would have had a year's supply of jalapenos.  Herbs were really successful too - more thyme that I know what to do with and the sage for our Christmas turkey is waiting in the wings.

Too early to start planning for the spring?




Comments

Popular Posts